Does A Mental Health Issue Prevent You From Working?

Having a mental health issue is overwhelming enough. The last thing you want to have to deal with is navigating Social Security applications and documentation. I am attorney Cory DeLellis. I founded my firm so that I could offer the one-on-one support and guidance people need to understand the Social Security Disability (SSD) and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) process.

Clear Directions, And Compassionate, Knowledgeable Guidance

I am here to help you understand your mental illness benefits and how to be effective in your application given your mental health issue. While not every mental disorder will prevent you from working, some issues do qualify for governmental assistance. These issues can include:

  • Depressive, bipolar and related disorders
  • Schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder and delusional disorder
  • Psychotic disorders
  • Anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorders
  • Somatic disorders
  • Other doctor documented disorders or mental health issues
  • Physical issues that prevent you from working

It is crucial to get documentation from a health care professional regarding your mental health condition. Documentation is not a guarantee that you will qualify or that your application will be accepted, but it is needed to show that you are legally disabled. If you have a disabling mental health issue, worked for five or more years in the past decade, and have paid taxes, it is likely that you qualify. This is usually not the obstacle. The obstacle is getting through the paperwork, understanding the rules and meeting the Social Security Administration deadlines. My team and I are here to help you every step of the way. I want to make it easy for you to get answers to your disability questions.

Let’s Talk About Which Mental Health Issues Qualify

Having a mental health issue can prevent you from being able to provide for yourself or your family. You likely have questions about which issues qualify and how best to go about the process. I offer a free initial phone consultation so that you can get the answers you need to move forward. Call 619-567-4462 or send my office an inquiry email, and we will get in touch with you. I have two office locations: in San Diego and El Centro. My team and I serve clients throughout the Imperial Valley area, including Riverside, Orange and San Bernardino counties.